This coming Monday, August 8th, California lawmakers will vote on legislation that stops authorities from treating victims of child sex trafficking like criminals. We need your help to get this off the Assembly Floor and to the Governor’s desk.
SB 1322 (Mitchell) precludes victims of childhood commercial sexual exploitation from being arrested and charged with prostitution and related loitering. This bill is consistent with federal law and reflects a recognition of the harmful effects of arresting victims of child sex trafficking, including further trauma, disconnection from community and school, and burdensome criminal records. (Click here to learn more.)
The Assemblymembers listed below are still on the fence and need to hear from you. Let them know our most vulnerable children need their support on SB 1322.
Here’s how you can help this week:
1. Call Assemblymembers. Tell them you support SB 1322 and urge them to vote YES on Monday. Your call will make a big difference.
- Assemblymember Catharine Baker: (916) 319-2016, @CBakerAD16
- Assemblymember Susan Bonilla: (916) 319-2014, @ASMSusanBonilla
- Assemblymember Ken Cooley: (916) 319-2008, @KenCooley
- Assemblymember Matt Debabneh: (916) 319-2045, @MattDababneh
- Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell: (916) 319-2070, @AsmPatODonnell
2. Share your support on social media. Tweet @ the Assemblymembers or retweet our messages @NCYL_CSEC & @westcoastccorg. Here are some sample tweets:
- I support #SB1322 @HollyJMitchell bc there is #NoSuchThing as a child prostitute #trafficking
- Vote YES on #SB1322 to stop criminalizing victims of child trafficking in CA, consistent w/ fed law #NoSuchThing @HollyJMitchell
- #ChildSexTrafficking victims deserve same protective response as other victims of child abuse – Vote YES on #SB1322
3. Forward this Action Alert to your networks.
If you have any question, do not hesitate to contact Jodie Langs at email@example.com or Elizabeth Laferriere at firstname.lastname@example.org.